What Is Portable Appliance Testing and why does it need to be done?
Portable Appliance Testing is the examination of portable and transportable electrical equipment making sure its safe to use. This is also known as PAT Testing or In-service Inspection and Testing.
Although the majority of electrical safety defects can be found visually, some defects can only be found through actual testing.
Legislation is very clear on why portable appliance testing is recommended:-
“Every employer shall make and give to such arrangements as are appropriate, having regard to the nature of his activities and the size of his undertaking, for the effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of preventive and protective measures.”
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Act (1999)
So if you are an employer, you have a responsibility to do what is reasonably practicable to ensure employees have a safe working environment.
“As may be necessary to prevent danger, all systems shall be maintained so as to prevent, so far as reasonably practicable, such danger.”
The Electricity at Work Regulations (1989)
Therefore, as employers, its your responsibility to ensure that all electrical appliances are safe and free from any potential danger. One way of achieving this is by having your electrical appliances checked.
Don’t delay. Use our contact form or call us NOW on0800 246 1802 discuss your Portable Appliance Testing requirements and get your free quotation.
What’s involved in the test?
- A formal visual inspection of the appliance looking for any signs of damage.
- Earth Continuity test. Checks there is a good connection between the earth pin and the case of the appliance.
- Insulation Resistance Test. Applies a current across the insulation to measure the amount of current flowing through and calculating the resistance.
- Leakage test. Where the appliance is powered up and a measurement is made of the current flowing from the live parts to earth (class 1) or from the live parts to the appliance (class 2)
What You can expect from us
- A free quotation so you have a clear cost to budget with. All quoted prices include free of replacement fuses where required.
- Flexible appointments (including out of hours and weekends) to minimise disruption of your working day. (additional charges may apply).
- Our City & Guilds qualified personnel will inspect & test your appliances and identify any unsafe items.
- You receive a clear, easy-to-understand electronic report detailing all the appliances checked for your records. No more hand written pieces of paper to decipher.
- We endeavour to resolve issues found during testing free of charge where possible, although some parts may be chargeable.
We have a clearly defined cost structure with a standard fixed fee (which includes testing for 25 items). From there a sliding scale for any extra items; the more items you have the lower the per item cost. We believe this gives our clients the best value for money, no matter the size of their undertaking.
Use our contact form or call us NOW on 0800 246 1802 discuss your Portable Appliance Testing requirements and get your free quotation.